Image Modified From: http://phymap.ucdavis.edu/
Shawn Yarnes, The Integrated Breeding Platform
This tutorial describes the import of two germplasm lists in Excel file format into the Breeding Management System Database.
Restore from Previous Tutorial
- If you are not following the cowpea tutorials in sequence, restore the Cowpea Tutorial database (.sql) to the end of the previous tutorial to match database contents with current tutorial.
Restore Cowpea 1.0 (.sql)
Importing germplasm lists from external files, such as Excel spreadsheets, into the program database requires appropriate formatting. The Breeding Management System (BMS) will enforce unique germplasm IDs (GID) on germplasm without matches to the public database. The BMS is also capable of importing parental pedigree information for germplasm, although this tutorial only considers the simple import of germplasm lists without pedigrees.
Import Two Lists from Excel Spreadsheets
Germplasm must be specified in an Excel Germplasm Import Template format (see more). Two lists using the template format are available as examples for import.
- Open the the Cowpea Tutorial program from the BMS Dashboard and launch the Import Germplasm tool from the Workbench menu. Select Browse and navigate to the UCR 2010 Parents (.xls) file. Click Next.
Example File: UCR 2010 Parents (.xls)
- Specify the Germplasm Details and select Finish.
- Breeding Method: Unknown Derivative Method
- Location: Ibadan
- Date: Todays
- Pedigree Options: Add all entries with new germplasm records connecting to existing germplasm.
The Breeding Management System requires that each germplasm have a unique GID. By choosing to add all entries with new germplasm records connecting to existing germplasm, the BMS assigns each entry a new GID, but a database connection is made to existing database entries. When multiple name matches are found, the user is asked to choose the appropriate match.
- Choose the germplasm with GID 18694 and Continue.
- Four more multiple name matches are identified for this list. Select the following GIDs respectively.
- Select Save and save list as UCR2010Parents.
- Repeat the above process to import the trial Germplasm germplasm file.
Example File: Trial Germplasm (.xls)
- Repeat the germplasm details, except for Pedigree Options select existing germplasm whenever found. The BMS will match imported germplasm to existing GIDs. Select Finish.
- Save the germplasm list as Trial Germplasm List and select Save.
Review Imported Lists
- Choose Manage Lists from the tools menu and browse through the 3 lists that have been created so far in the Cowpea Tutorial Series.
Funding & Acknowledgements
The Integrated Breeding Platform (IBP) is jointly funded by: the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the European Commission, United Kingdom's Department for International Development, CGIAR, the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, and the CGIAR Fund Council. Coordinated by the Generation Challenge Program the Integrated Breeding Platform represents a diverse group of partners; including CGIAR Centers, national agricultural research institutes, and universities.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International License.?