Breeding Management System FAQs
My Pro trial has expired. Can I get a new licence?
What is the Breeding Management System (BMS)?
The BMS is a software solution to manage your breeding data across all phases of the crop improvement cycle. It includes applications to manage trials, nurseries and seed inventory, run statistical analyses, and support breeding decisions through the gradual integration of genetic markers. It keeps a safe, standardized and centralized record of your data from one generation to the next. Breeding networks and teams get the added advantage of building knowledge, facilitating teamwork and securing institutional memory.
- BMS Basic: Everybody can access the BMS Basic product for free.
- BMS Professional (PRO): BMS PRO includes proprietary components with a license cost on top of the OS pipeline.
The BMS Basic and PRO are available under a desktop or server editions. The Desktop edition, designed for use on an individual personal computer, is available for download on this website, and the Server edition (LAN or cloud) can be accessed upon request.
Where can I get the installers?
Do I have to pay to use the BMS?
Some BMS users will be charged affordable, graduated fees that will take into account their particular circumstances. The fees will be carefully implemented to ensure that every one who wishes to use the BMS is able to do so:
- Subsidized clients are people from public institutions in developing countries who need to enter into collaboration with the IBP to receive the BMS PRO products and support services free of charge, where costs will be covered by external resources (donor funds, projects, IBP subsidies, etc.). Contact us to see if and how this applies to you.
- All non-subsidized users can access the BMS PRO products as paying clients. Prices and conditions for license and services will be scaled in function of the institution’s nature, size and region. Request a quote here or see a general example here.
In all cases, access to the BMS PRO (desktop or server edition) and service provision is conditioned by entering into a formal agreement with the IBP to define rules of engagement, agree on costs, if any, and endorse the private license and service agreements.
Do “BMS” and “IBP” refer to the same thing?
No. The Breeding Management System (BMS) is a software suite, the core product of the IBP, but just a part of what the Integrated Breeding Platform (IBP) offers. The IBP is a not-for-profit organization which provides IT for breeding (of which the BMS is the centerpiece); plant breeding expertise (including consultancy and third party services); and capacity building. This website also offers many community resources, all accessible from the main site menu above.
The crop I am doing research on is not mentioned on your website as a supported crop. Can I still use the BMS?
Yes you can. The BMS provides databases with publicly available historical phenotyping, trait, pedigree and genotypic information for some crops. However, it also comes with an empty database that can be used for any crop, and into which you can enter your research data as appropriate. Over time, we will expand the number of crops for which we can provide some preloaded data.
I am having problems installing the BMS on my personal computer. What can I do?
You can conduct the following rapid troubleshooting:
- Confirm that your computer meets the minimum hardware and software specifications for the BMS: v3.09 or earlier: Windows XP SP3 or newer, with 4GB RAM | v4 and above: 64-bit Windows 10, with 8GB RAM. Confirm that the installer(s) downloaded correctly if you obtained them via this website.
- Ensure that your firewall is not blocking the installation, and if so temporarily turn it off or reset it to allow the installation.
- Ensure that your anti-virus is not blocking the installation, and if so temporarily turn it off or reset it to allow the installation
I forgot the password I used in BMS. How do I retrieve it?
On the Sign In page of the BMS, click on the ‘Forgot your password?’ link to retrieve your password. Enter your username and the answer to your security question when prompted.
NOTE: Your BMS password is not the same as your IBP website password.
Can I perform data analysis using the BMS?
The Breeding Management System’s statistical analysis tool, Breeding View, can perform phenotypic data analyses and identify quantitative trait loci (QTL). For instructions on how to use Breeding View, please see these chapters in the BMS Manual, and/or look for examples in the BMS Tutorial:
- Single Site Analysis
- Multi-Site Analysis
- Multi-Site Multi-Year Analysis
- QTL Analysis
This tool is activated under a PRO license.
I have a list of entries I am planning to put into a trial - how can I generate a FieldBook?
You can import your entries into the BMS if they do not already exist in your crop’s historical database provided with the BMS. The BMS has a Trial Manager, which facilitates the creation of electronic FieldBooks that can be printed or exported to various file formats for use with handheld devices for direct data capture. For instructions in how to upload new germplasm into the BMS and how to use the Trial Manager tool, see these entries on Trials.
Can I load and use my own trial dataset in the BMS?
The BMS has a data import tool that you can use to upload your historical datasets stored in Excel files into a BMS database. For instructions on how to use this tool, please see Data Import Tool.
Do I need to register as a user in the BMS if I am already registered on the IBP Portal?
Yes, you will need to create a BMS account. Account login information is not shared between the IBP website and your instance of the BMS. As a result, you will need to set a User ID and Password for the BMS, which need not be the same as those for the IBP website.
Where can I get some quick information on the BMS to enable me decide on whether it is appropriate for my needs?
How can I cite the Breeding Management System in my work?
Please use the following entry:
"The IBP Breeding Management System Version 3.0.9 (2015). The Integrated Breeding Platform. https://www.integratedbreeding.net/breeding-management-system"