The tutorial describes how to export trial field book for data collection and upload phenotypic example data from four locations based on a CIMMYT maize trial. When this tutorial is complete, the example data in the Breeding Management System is available for statistical analysis.
Export Trial for Data Collection
- From Manage Studies tool, browse for the Performance Trial and Open.
- Select Export study book from Data collection options in the Actions menu.
384 trial entries associated with empty columns of phenotypic data.
- Choose Excel from the list of file formats compatible with different handheld devices. Set data collection order by plot. (Serpentine order options are only available after a field map has been created.) Select Export and choose a location for the file on your computer.
- The export file is a single zipped, or compressed, folder containing four Excel workbooks corresponding to each trial location. Navigate to the compressed folder and open to view the individual files. Open Performance Trial-1_Aqua Fria.xls.
Each of the exported files have two work sheets. The observation sheet contains empty cells for data collection for 6 traits. Important: The observation sheet exported from the BMS contains a unique PLOT_ID specific to your trial in column E.
Import Example Measurements
- Download example data collected by CIMMYT breeders at each of the four trial locations.
- Copy the PLOT_ID column from the observation sheet you exported from the BMS. Paste PLOT_ID into the example data files. Repeat for all 4 locations. Observations are matched to the BMS database by PLOT_ID.
- Save the four data files on your computer. We will be using the four data sets to import into BMS for data analysis.
- Select Import Measurements from the Data collection options in the Actions menu in order to import the field measurements into the BMS.
- Browse and select the field book with data for location 1 (Agua Fria). Select Import. You must save the trial after the data import of each location or subsequent imports will overwrite previous data. Repeat for all 4 locations individually.
- Confirm that the data has been uploaded by reviewing each location from the dropdown menu.
You will receive an error message if the data is imported without correct Plot IDs in the trial field book.
The Integrated Breeding Platform (IBP) is jointly funded by: the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the European Commission, United Kingdom's Department for International Development, CGIAR, the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, and the CGIAR Fund Council. Coordinated by the Generation Challenge Program the Integrated Breeding Platform represents a diverse group of partners; including CGIAR Centers, national agricultural research institutes, and universities.
Maize ?demonstration data was provided by Mike Olsen at CIMMYT International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center. These data have been adapted for training purposes. Any misrepresentation of the raw breeding data is the solely the responsibility of the IBP.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License?