This tutorial describes how to design a crossing nursery and the reservation and withdrawal of seed for planting.
- Nursery Details
- Reserve Seed for Planting
- Withdraw Seed
- Related Manual Topics
- Launch Manage Nurseries from within the Maize Tutorial Program. Select Start a New Nursery.
- Establish the basic details of the nursery.
- Nursery Name: Crossing Nursery
- Description: 2017
- Objective: harvest F1 seed for F1 nursery
- Creation Date: Default
- Completion Date: Blank
- Any previously created nursery can be used as a template. Do not use a previously created nursery as a template.
- Select Save
- Select the + icon and name the folder 2017. Activate check box and Select.
- After saving, the view refreshes with the basic details collapsed.
- Modify the nursery settings by clicking the Add button and selecting options from the ontology.
Management Details are variables describing the management of the whole nursery.
- Select the Add button. Search for "institute" and select STUDY_INSTITUTE.
- Search for "location" and select "Location Name".
- Fill with your institute name and select a location from the drop down options. Enter institute name as free text and chose a location from the drop down menu.
Nursery Conditions are variables measured across the entire nursery, like total rainfall or soil pH.
- Select the Add button. Search for acidity and select SITE_SOIL_PH. Enter a value for the nursery's soil pH.
Selection Variates describe the units of selection. For example, choosing number of plants selected allows a breeder to choose specific plants to advance to the next generation.
- Since this is a crossing nursery all successful crosses (crosses resulting in inventory) will be advanced, so no selection criteria is required.
Traits are the variables you observe on every plot, such as biological traits or other observations such as notes or conditions.
- Since this is a crossing nursery all successful crosses (crosses resulting in inventory) will be advanced, so no trait information is required.
Germplasm & Checks
- Open the Germplasm and Checks tab. Browse for a nursery list.
- Highlight the 50 entry Parental Germplasm list and Select.
- Ignore the check options - the crossing nursery will not have checks. Select Save.
Reserve Seed for Planting
- Return to Manage Germplasm tool and browse to the Parental Germplasm list. Close directory popup window.
- Select Inventory View from the Actions menu.
- Select all 50 entries and choose Reserve Inventory from the Inventory Management Options of the Actions menu.
- Each plot in the Crossing Nursery requires 100g of seed for planting. Enter 100g for SEED_AMOUNT, and select Finish.
- All entries now show a reserved (pending) withdrawal amount of 100.0g. Save changes from the Inventory Management Options of the Actions menu.
- Export Seed Preparation list (.xls) to take to the stock room.
The seed preparation list contains two worksheets. The description sheet describes the germplasm list and the observation sheet provides details about the pending seed withdrawal. The Amount Withdrawn column on the Observation sheet is empty and ready to record the actual withdrawal.
- Update the Amount Withdrawn column for all entries with 100.0g. Save the seed preparation (.xls) file.
- Select import seed preparation file from the Actions menu.
- Browse to the updated seed preparation file and select Finish.
- Select Continue.
The withdrawal is complete. The column with heading Total Withdrawals indicates that the 100.0 g has been withdrawn for each entry.
Related Manual Topics
The Integrated Breeding Platform (IBP) is jointly funded by: the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the European Commission, United Kingdom’s Department for International Development, CGIAR, the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, and the CGIAR Fund Council. Coordinated by the Generation Challenge Program the Integrated Breeding Platform represents a diverse group of partners; including CGIAR Centers, national agricultural research institutes, and universities.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International License.