- Search Germplasm
- Germplasm Lists
- Delete Germplasm
- Search and browse germplasm and germplasm lists.
- Build new germplasm lists.
- For import see (Germplasm Import)
- Review, reserve, and withdraw seed inventory (see Manage Inventory)
- Search germplasm by partial name, GID, or StockID.
Expand or narrow the search by selecting options.
- With inventory only
- Include parents
- Include group members
- Matches starting with
- Exact matches
- Matches containing
- Select individual Designations or GIDs (germplasm identifiers) to reveal germplasm details.
- Expand Pedigree Tree and select View Pedigree Graph. The default view shows only generative steps in the pedigree.
IB1F is the result of backcrossing. The recurrent parent, Bambey21:201710, is female.
- Select include derivative and maintence lines to view steps, like seed increase.
The recurrent female parent, Bambey21:201710, is derived by seed increase from Bambey 21.
The BMS database keeps a record of pedigree connections throughout the process of crossing and nursery advancement.
Germplasm lists are the basis for nursery and trial design, as well as seed inventory management. Browse and search existing lists from the program and public databases with the Germplasm Manager. To introduce new germplasm to the system, see Germplasm Import.
- View lists allows you to browse, search, or import germplasm lists.
- Select browse to see all germplasm lists in the BMS list directory. Select the list of interest in the directory popup window. Close the popup window to review List details.
- Searches are not case-sensitive. Search for germplasm lists by partial or exact matches to list name.
- Select a list or multiple lists. The lists open behind the search list popup window. Close the popup window to review the list(s).
From list view you can review germplasm details, including inventory details by selecting the blue text in the table (See more Manage Inventory).
Select the "i" information icon to review list details.
- Select Inventory View to see all inventory entries for germplasm within a list (see more Manage Inventory).
List Editing Options
- Select List Editing Option to reveal options for list editing. Deleting a list does not delete the individual germplasm records.
- Lock the list by selecting the padlock icon. Select the Actions button. Notice that locked lists offer fewer Actions options. Select Export List and select the appropriate output file type.
Coding & Fixing Options - BETA
Coding and Fixing Options are under development (Beta). Expect improved/expanded functionality in future BMS versions.
Fixing a line assigns it a Group ID. For example, an F6 line may be homozygous enough to be considered "fixed". When the line is fixed and assigned a group ID, the same GID can be applied to descendants created via derivative and maintenance methods.
- Highlight lines and select 'Mark lines as fixed'.
- Choose to 'Preserve Existing Group' and 'Include Descendants' and Continue. The GROUP ID column is now filled with data.
If 'Include Descendants' is selected, all descendants derived using derivative and maintenance breeding methods will share the same Group ID.
The fixed line IBP-1 and the line IBP-1-B, derived by selfing and bulking, both share the Group IB 11335.
The BMS offers 3 levels of coding to allow users to customize naming based on stages in their breeding program. For example, a breeding program with regional stations may choose to code materials before advancing to multi-location trials, so that the origin of the materials is apparent by the preferred name.
- Highlight germplasm entries and select assign codes.
- Specify the coding level and the desired prefix. Apply codes.
- Select OK.
The preferred name is now updated with the coded name. The GID remains the unique germplasm ID.
Build a New List
- Open the List Builder by clicking the ‘Show List Builder’ icon in the upper right hand corner.
- Select germplasm of interest in and drag and drop the selections into the build a new list window. Lists can be built up iteratively, moving back and forth between View Lists and View Germplasm
- Enter the list details. The list name must be unique to the program database. Select Save.
The newly created list now appears in the Program Lists file folder. The list can be renamed by selecting the pen icon and locked against further editing by selecting the lock icon. The Build a New List pane opened while browsing will remain open when you move to the Search tab.
Germplasm created in the system erroneously can be deleted. Once deleted, the designation and GID will not appear in germplasm searches. The GID is not available for reuse after deletion.
The system will prevent deletion of germplasm:
- if the germplasm has inventory
- if the germplasm exists in multiple lists
- if the germplasm is associated with a nursery or trial
- if the germplasm is fixed
- if the germplasm has descendants
- Select the entries to be deleted. Usually this will be an entire list created erroneously through crossing and advancement. From the Actions menu, remove selected germplasm.
- Select Yes.
If the germplasm meets the deletion validations, the list will no longer contain germplasm. The list can be re-populated with new germplasm or deleted
If the deletion validations are not met, an error message will indicate that the delete isn't possible.